Small province towns in Lithuania had no monuments in the past. As an exceptional case, Zarasai town can be mentioned, the then Novoaleksandrovskas. Once Saint Petersburg - Warsaw post road was laid, it was decided to mark the completion of this huge construction, to find a place and forms for commemoration. That is how in 1845 an 11 meters high cast iron obelisk emerged on the southern side of the road, nearby the former post station, which has survived till nowadays. The monument stands at the junction of Vytautas and Vilnius streets. The obelisk had a cast iron commemorative plaque mounted with the following text in the Russian language: "At the order of Tsar Nikolai I, the road from Kaunas to Daugavpils was built, 193 versts/ 1836". Zarasai Land Museum displays the old commemorative plaque, which was originally mounted onto the post. The author of the monument was Piotras Šteinkeleris. The museum also exhibits a stagecoach wheel found in the Lake Zarasas.
Zarasai post station was demolished in the early 20th Century - 1926.
Asavytai guard-house is on the right side of the road, 4 km from Zarasai, where the road goes up to the high hill 200 m above the sea level. It is the first guard-house after entering Lithuania. The building is included into the register of protected monuments.
Degučiai post station is 50 m west from Degučiai school and 20 m north from Zarasai-Utena road. Two one-storey 30x9 m buildings of rectangular plan stand next to each other separated by 26 metres gap, built in the early 19th Century. In the tsar times, both buildings were used for post office. In 1857 alone, 2600 passengers travelled through Degučiai post station. In the tsar times, apart from passenger transport, post office, later telegraph service operated. Later on, the buildings were occupied by offices, church, residents. In 1998, south-western building provided shelter for Degučiai Parish Church of St. Anthony.
Degučiai guard-house included into the register of protected monuments is situated on the right side of the road, on a flat hill, 12 km from Zarasai.
17 km from Zarasai in Kaunas direction, about 50 m west from Antalieptė Lagoon Bridge over the Šventoji River, north from Zarasai–Utena road, a historical monument of local importance - Galminiai barrier building is located. The building was constructed in about the mid-19th Century. It is a one-storey 19x11 m building of symmetric rectangular plan, built of red bricks and mortar, with entrances from both sides. The building is distinguished by its original central and side façades. The side façade facing south has a decorative rectangular loggia containing a portico of four Doric columns.
Daugailiai horse post station is 31 km from Zarasai and 19 km from Utena, near the international motorway, separated from it by tall trees and green slope lane. The station was built in 1830-1835. The preserved eastern side of the post station has two entrances, therefore the building is divided into two separate rooms, which performed accommodation function in the past for post offices, soldiers, there were two waiting rooms for passengers installed, the outbuilding was used for keeping horses, post carriages. Of the large and important post station, only façade side of the western building has survived till nowadays.
The old post office building in Utena (J.Basanavičiaus g. 36) is the oldest brick building in town that has survived till nowadays. The Utena post office complex was built in 1830-1835. The buildings are of classicist forms, harmonious proportions. The post station performed the functions of post services, horses swapping, barracks, it also contained rest rooms for travellers and passengers waiting for stagecoaches. The buildings have been restored, at present they house Utena Art School. The basement of the post station has survived till nowadays in good condition, it is used as an art gallery.
Utena old post station has a stagecoach standing in its courtyard, which can be viewed during the excursion. People used to travel by such means of transport on Saint Petersburg - Warsaw road in 1820-1860. The biggest travelling speed of stagecoaches was 9-15 km per hour in the 19th Century. The courtyard of Utena Art School exhibits a restored semaphore. The first semaphore telegraph line interconnecting Saint Petersburg and Warsaw was launched in 1833, in Russia.
The complex of Ukmergė horse post station building (Kauno g. 80) consists of post office, wheel undercarriage storage, outbuilding, fence with the gate, the complex is of the late classicism (Empire) style. It is the cultural heritage object protected by the state, built in 1835.
The complex of Jonava horse post station dates back to 1833-1835. By the number of buildings, their size and services provided, Jonava horse post station belonged to the "third class". The post station serviced mail and cargoes and passengers travelling by horse transport. The post station had two rest rooms for tsar family members and officers. In 1974-1991, the buildings were occupied by Jonava central district library, while since 1992 the old post station houses Jonava Ethnographic Museum, which was conferred the status of the state museum and was called Jonava Land Museum. There are several exhibition halls, art, history, ethnography divisions in the museum.
Kaunas horse post station buildings (Rotušės a. no. 17, 18, 19, 20), located in Western part of the square, are not included into the perimeter development, but rather "pushed forward", occupy quite a big area of the square and therefore stand out from the spatial structure of the Town Hall square. The history of the buildings goes back to the end of the 16th Century - beginning of the 17th Century, when two barns were built in this location (at present buildings under No. 18 and 19 in the Town Hall square). In 1821-1826, both former barns were adapted to the horse post station following the design of architect Joseph Poussier. Upon realisation of this design, a new planned structure was developed and façade compositions were changed. Outbuildings adapted for post office needs were also restored at that time. After the reconstruction, the complex architecture acquired the late classicism features. Today, the restored complex is occupied by Communication History Museum.
Based on the information provided by Jonas Pleckevičius, Jonas Nemanis, Kristina Šašilaitė, Jolita Butkevičienė.